Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Orchard Cobbler + A New Camera!



I finally got a new camera! It wasn't the Nikon D40 I've been lusting after for months, but I couldn't afford one and I really wanted to get something before I head for my honeymoon on monday. I got an Olympus advanced digital camera. It's not quite a digital SLR, but you have a lot more options and presets than a regular point and shoot. One of my favorite things... a culinary preset! You can all be jealous now.





Orchard Cobbler


This is a recipe that I tweaked from what was originally Paula Deen's peach cobbler recipe. (View Paula's recipe here.) The only thing I did differently is instead of using self rising flour, I used bisquick instead because that was all I had! The breading ended up being amazingly cakey and fluffy and soaked up the juices from the peaches and berries beautifully.


For the filling (where this recipe differs), follow Paula's directions for preparing the peaches. When I made this recently, I threw my berries in with the peaches and they really didn't hold up as well as I had hoped they would and lost some of their color and flavor. It still tasted AMAZING, but I found on PW's blog where she just tossed them in sugar and lemon juice and threw them into the baking dish without cooking them down beforehand, so next time I'm going to try that.


I used a mixture of raspberries and blueberries for mine (about half of a bag from Walmart of each) but you could use whatever you fancy! Also, I used frozen berries because the fresh ones weren't looking so hot at the grocery store, but no doubt some nice fresh berries would be even better.


Heed my advice: if you do decide to use frozen, be sure to bake them frozen without thawing them out. They hold up better in the long run that way! Don't ask me why =)

Also, this is DELICIOUS fresh (note the caramelization on top of the cakey stuff- it provides a nice little crunch on top!), but can be successfully reheated in the microwave and the filling tastes better the next day, IMO.


1 comments:

bethanyjg said...

YUM!!! I am sure bisquick was delicious in this. I am so impressed with Nikon for having a culinary preset!

 
template by suckmylolly.com