Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Din Din! Part 2

For the most part, I eyeball these mashed potatoes in terms of what goes in. In my opinion, they are the best mashed potatoes I've ever had, so I highly suggest giving them a shot.

All of these ingredients are tenative because I season to taste with everything that goes in, and the measurements are a guesstimate.

Ingredients:
3 large baking potatoes
a couple quarts of water
1/4 c. (or so) mayo
1/2 c. (or so) milk
1/2 c. (or so) butter alternative - I use ICBINB :)
Garlic Salt to taste (maybe a tablespoon?)
Parsley to taste (I would say I used a couple tablespoon's of it)
Parmesan to taste (probably around a half a cup)
Course Ground pepper to taste (mmm... maybe a tablespoon?)

Everybody has their own way of mashing potatoes, so I consider giving directions unneccesary. But for the sake of blogging, I'll go ahead and give an idea of what I do since everybody does it differently :)

1) scrub and peel potatoes. In a large pot, fill halfway with water and heat on med/high.
2) roughly chop potatoes into 2" or so cubes, put into water with a handful of salt.
3) boil them until they are easily run through with a fork.
4) Strain and return to pot. I don't like beating my potatoes with a beater, I MASH MASH MASH them with one of those metal potato masher things to the desired consistency. I prefer for there to be a little texture, myself... One thing is for certain though. A potato masher is a great investment, and cheaper than therapy ;).
5) Add butter subsitute, milk, mayo, parmesan, garlic salt, parsley, and ground pepper a little at a time until flavored to taste and has reached the desired consistency. With mashed potatoes, consistency is a big deal to me if you didn't notice in the previous step. But I always start with the milk, butter sub, and mayo, and I use my potato masher to sort of mash in the ingredients until the texture is light, fluffy, creamy, and hold their shape, then I add everything else. I suggest to be careful with the milk, because it can dilute the potatoes and make them runny.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com